Thursday, July 14, 2011

On my mind and from my heart...

Dear maternal fetal medicine,

I have an appointment next Friday to have an ultrasound. I am twenty four weeks along with my third child, a girl. Her Daddy and I have named her Ameri. At our twenty week routine ultrasound she was uncooperative and we saw very little, except for that she had slight Echogenic Bowel. The ultrasound was repeated two weeks later and she was much more active. Ameri’s heart is perfect; her measurements are normal and the brightness on the bowel had lessened! I was one happy mommy! The ultrasound tech acted like all the problems I had first been informed of were no big deal. I left feeling hope! On Monday the doctor’s office called and said while other things looked alright they are still concerned about her echogenic bowel and would like me to see maternal fetal medicine. Every time I speak with my doctor she seems very grave. I am beginning to feel like just another patient. I know you probably see lots of women every day some with problems much more serious than my own, but I don’t want to be just another number. I want my little girl to be cared for by someone who understands that our family does not deal with this every day. This is not our norm. This little girl has a mom, a dad, a big brother and sister, six grandparents, eight aunts and uncles, and many others concerned and very much in love with her. She is ours no matter the outcome. I am asking you to PLEASE treat us with understanding. PLEASE treat me like you would your own child. I love my sweet little girl with everything I have. I just want to give her my best. Please help me do that?

Thank you

Jamie

For those who don’t know Echogenic Bowel is a soft marker for Down syndrome. It is extremely unlikely that our baby has trisomy twenty one as we have no other risk factors. Please understand that this had simple been on my mind and I needed a way to let it out. Please keep all negative comments to yourself. I am asking for your respect. Thanks you!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jamie, I will most certainly keep your family and your little girl in my prayers! The unknowing is such a scary thing when it comes to your child. You're a wonderful Mommy and you guys will be taken care of, I know that!

    ReplyDelete